"The winds of grace blow all the time. All we need to do is set our sails." - Ramakrishna

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Project #4-Clean My Art Studio!

"It may be that at first you can devote only one hour a day to the activity that really matters to you, but one hour a day can really add up. One hour a day will mean 7 hours a week, 365 hours a year, 3650 hours in ten years. You can accomplish much in that period of time: taking a course, writing a book, painting a portrait. You certainly have one hour a day even if you divide it in six ten minute periods. What can you do in ten minutes? In ten minutes you can do some exercises and get your circulation moving again. You can write a letter to a friend, make three phone calls, get out some bills, or play a quick game of handball." Ari Kiev in A Stategy for Daily Living.

In my mission to clean my place from top to bottom, I haven't been able to clean in my art studio. I think it is has to do with the fact that I am overwhelmed by all that I need to do. It is such a mess I don't know where to start.

Nevertheless, I have still managed to keep the other areas I've cleaned up from falling back into disarray.

I'm quite proud of this, slob that I normally am.

But now it is time to get past the art studio cleaning standstill. It is a big project and I need to chunk it down into little ten-minutes-at-a-time steps for me to take. (Please note: in an imperfect world, not all these steps will take exactly ten minutes.)

I will now list the first step: go stand in the studio doorway and figure out the next several steps.

The second step: figure out a place where you want your stereo to go. (My brother gave me an old stereo he was getting rid of. It plays records! I can play my old records I have held on to for years, even after the record player I owned in my younger days had bit the dust.)

The third step: Make a path to the corner of the room you have chosen, clearing out the blocking debris.

The fourth step: Move the stereo stand into the studio and set the stereo system up.

The fifth step: Retrieve the records from the living room entertainment center and take them into your studio and place them on the stand.

Because it has been so hard for me to clean my art studio, I am going to make it Project #4 of my monitored projects. I'll keep you informed on how I do.

No comments: